Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Lifetime Guarantee


Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4

I wouldn’t mind a few more grey (gray!) hairs for the ones I’ve lost! The desert up there has been pretty barren for a while and is likely to spread. But this promise is the most comforting of all—a lifetime guarantee to end all guarantees! I am only one of millions that can vouch for the truth of these words.

For the life of me, I cannot understand those who refuse the companionship and succour of the One who is the source of the life we have. Why go through life without the security He brings? And why face eternity without Him? It just doesn’t make sense to reject the only one who has the desire, but also the power to fulfill that promise.

After all, as Ann reminded me, He is the “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” He is sovereign over all the events of our lives. Isn’t it reasonable to trust Him for our present and future? If God has a purpose for the whole of history, He can be trusted for our minimal slice of time.

I am so glad I joined my life with His as a child and maintained that union throughout life. I admit, the relationship has sometimes been one sided. Fortunately, He sees the desire of our hearts when our actions don’t always reflect it. No wonder my heart is so often “lost in wonder, love and praise.”

No comments: