Monday, December 27, 2010

Public Performance

 
You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. Matthew 5:14-16.

Here’s a verse to upset the day, especially if you’re not happy performing in public! Whether we like it or not, those of us who take our faith seriously stand out in the crowd. Just like rocks revealed as the tide recedes, so our differences become more noticeable as the culture retreats from Christianity.

Constant reminders to be a light to the world intimidate me. I’m not one to crash parties, and I generally wait for an invitation to share my faith. I wish they came more often. However, two areas of thought give me comfort.

First, serious faith reveals itself in everyday life; people notice the difference without our conscious effort. Frequently, throwaway lines or unconscious comments have a greater effect than a carefully orchestrated speech. Faith shows through the ordinariness of our lives.

Second, I enjoy writing, which provides an outlet for my faith, but gives others the choice to read or not. This way, I don’t intentionally invade others’ space without their permission. Yet the light still shines, not necessarily from a hilltop, but from the confines of my study.

We all have a lamp stand from which to share our light. What is yours?

No comments: